Let's Go Krogering

After church today, my oldest and I had to make a quick drop by Kroger for a few groceries. I am one of few that I know who enjoys grocery shopping. Not sure why I enjoy it.... I've been accused of being a little off in the mind. Maybe it's the thrill of the hunt, searching for bargains amidst the ever-increasing yellow price stickers.

Having my daughter with me made the stop even more enjoyable.... and special. Very seldom do I get to spend "alone time" with her, so it was an extra treat to have her helping me. And help she did.... pushing the cart, locating the pop-tarts, running the groceries across the scanner in the "U-scan" aisle, swiping the credit card, taking the cart to the corral in the parking lot. The little booger even "con'ed" me into buying a box of Mozerella Chez-it's. And, she took me on an expedition into the bakery/deli section on a hunt for free samples (honey ham with a prezel stick speared thru the middle was the only one this morning). How fun!

We visit this Kroger frequently.... more frequently than any other in the Decatur area. Today, the attendant for the U-scan section was an older lady who is there often. She's a sweet thing; I've tried to remember her name, but have failed (as I often do when trying to keep track of names.... I'm very bad at this). For purposes of this narrative, we'll call her "Barb".

Barb is one of those many faithful "nameless" employees that serve day-in and day-out at groceries, restaurants and stores all across this land. They are the ones that work tirelessly, manning the front lines to keep things going smoothly. They are the ones that serve as the "face" of their employer, making the customer experience as positive as possible.

Today, Barb had a problem. She had forgotten her light blue Kroger uniform shirt and was instead wearing a nice white turtleneck. How do I know this? Her manager/boss/supervisor called it to her attention right there in the middle of the U-scan lanes.

Was the boss being a butt about it? No. But Barb was clearly disturbed about the fact she wasn't in uniform. I heard Barb say something about already being in the car on the way to work before she realized she'd forgotten her shirt.

Do I know Barb's personal situation? No. Do I know the reason why Barb wasn't in uniform? No. Maybe she did have a brain fart (as we all do periodically) and flat-out forgot. Maybe she forgot to do laundry. Maybe her dog threw-up on the shirt. Maybe she was up late working a second job and was exhausted getting ready for her Kroger job today. Maybe she is tending to an elderly parent and has 10,000 worries on her mind. Maybe she was doing some type of "rebellion against the establishment". Who knows?

What I do know.... that manager/boss/supervisor was out-of-line confronting Barb right in the center of her work environment within earshot of customers checking out. A "corrective action" conversation like this must be a private one, taking place in an office or in a quiet secluded spot. It all comes down to RESPECT.... treating others as you'd want to be treated. I felt bad for Barb; she deserved more out of her leader.

Barb knew she was in the wrong; I didn't need to know.


Have a good Sunday!
MH
numbers 6:24-26