Man with Cart

I got up outta my chair today at work and walked over to the printer to get my documents.

As I waited for them to print, I looked out the window (from the 3rd floor) down onto the North Water Street Plaza.

I spotted something that really made me pause.

A man pushing a shopping cart.


The basket part was packed full.  with what?  I do not know, as i was too far away to see.

hanging off each side of the cart was a large black plastic trash bag.  there was something, or quite a bit of something, in each one.

knowing no other facts on the gentleman's situation, I can only work with what I saw.  and seeing what I saw, I  would conclude that the man was homeless.

pushing all his worldly possessions around in and on a shopping cart.

the sight of this made me pause.
the sight of this made me sad.


i know there are lots of hurting, hungry folks in town.  

i have read the news.

i have driven thru neighborhoods.

i have served at the Good Samaritan Inn.

life is hard for lots of folks right now.  no question about that.

but, in the 6+ months that i have been working downtown, this is the first time that i've seen a guy (or gal) with a cart.

to me, the cart equates to homeless.  and that really affects me.



what does he do during the 90 degree days we've been having?

where does he go at night?

does he feel safe?

what was the underlying reason/condition that put him out on the streets?


i have been blessed with a home.

to me, my home equates to a place of rest, comfort, security, meaning, shelter, love.  my place in this world.

if i had no home, would i feel any of these things?  would i ever feel like i had a place of "being"?  would i ever feel like i had a place, period?  what would i feel?


i know in bigger cities, it is quite a regular experience to see someone down on their luck.  wobbling down the street.  sleeping on a bench or ventilation grate.  pushing their belongings down the sidewalk.

for me, today was an eye-opener.  a reminder that people are hurting.

and a reminder that i must not shun my responsibility to figure out a way to help.

out for now....

Matt