Meaning of Matt

The meaning of Matt.
The meaning of Matt.

What is the meaning of Matt?


Well, there's not much meaning at all in "Matt", so it's necessary to look a little deeper.

"Matthew"

Origin of my name is Hebrew.  It means "Gift of God".

I'm sure my parents really believed that many years ago on that November night.

I'm sure my beautiful wife really believes that today.... each and every day she gets to spend with me.  (note:  this was typed sarcastically.)


Here's the low-down on the origin of "Matthew" (source 1):
A derivative of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Matthaeus and the Ecclesiastic Greek Matthaios and Matthias, contractions of Mattathias. The name has its root in the Hebrew Matityah.

and from source #2:
The Hebrew name "מַתִּתְיָהוּ" (Matityahu) was transliterated into Greek to "Ματταθίας" (Mattathias), which was shortened to "Ματθαῖος" – (Matthaios). 

Somehow, it eventually changed.... or morphed.... or evolved into "Matthew".

I am sure glad that I'm not known as Matityahu.  Yahu is too close to "yahoo".


Wikipedia lists several "nicknames" for Matthew......

Matt (hey, there's me!)
Mat
Mattie & Matty (wifey uses these alot)
Macey (WHAT?)
Hew (WHAT?)

Those last 2 really confuse me.  "Hew" I kinda understand, as that's the last 3 letters of "Matthew".  I dropped those 3 letters back around Junior High sometime.  Not sure why.... just liked how "Matt" sounded, I guess.  Plus, each time I wrote my name on a school paper, I was able to save the energy of writing a trio of extra characters.

"Macey"?  No ideas to offer on that one.


I also came across a list of "variants" for Matthew:
Mateo, Mateus, Mateusz, Matheu, Mathieu, Matias, Mats, Mattaeus, Mattaus, Matteo, Matthieu, Matthiew, Mattieu, Matz

Apparently, the name Matthew became popular during the Middle Ages in North-West Europe and appears in many European languages.  I'll bet that explains all the variants above.

That first one, Mateo, brings back good memories.  It was my name in Spanish I and Spanish II back in high school with the fantastic Mrs. Penelope (Penny) Clay.


It's been fun finding out a little more about my name.  I'll call them MattFacts.

MattFacts here on MattChat.

Out for now....

MH