Chuck the Change!

so, did you survive the time change this weekend?

feel like your life was made so much better by that additional hour of time that was "magically" added to your life?

(heck, if my beautiful and talented wife hadn't figured out how to update the time on the van's clock, I wouldda likely spent most of my extra hour doing that!)



I will admit that the time change in the fall is much more agreeable on my body's systems than that wretched time change in the spring.

I will also admit that I am not a fan of the whole "Daylight Saving" deal at all.  Losing an hour of daylight in the afternoons/evenings really stinks!  I hate when it gets dark by 5:30.... or earlier.


Some fast facts I located about "Daylight Saving Time".....

- around 70 countries observe it

- some countries refer to it as "Summer Time"

- Hawaii and part of Arizona do not observe it

- credit Ben Franklin for coming up with the idea for DST as a way to save candles

- widespread confusion was created during the 1950s and 1960s when each U.S. locality could start and end Daylight Saving Time as it desired;  one year, 23 different pairs of DST start and end dates were used in Iowa alone

- DST did not become official in the United States until Congress passed the Uniform Time Act in 1966

- because of DST, there is a gap in the Spring when no babies are born at all: from 2:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m.

YEESH!!!




Like me, this gal is not a DST fan either:

"Daylight Saving Time Is Terrible: Here's a Simple Plan to Fix It"


Not only does this Allison Schrager from "The Atlantic" propose that we do away with the time change, she proposes that the U.S. mainland slims from 4 to 2 time zones.... East and West.

Her point:
Why stick with a system designed for commerce in 1883?

Her reasoning is solid.  She's really on to something.

It's time for a change!  :)

Out for now.....

Matt