Picture 1/24: Goose That Berry

January 24
(picture 24 of 365)

Tonight, I was playing around on a new app I recently downloaded.

"QUIZUP"

It's a really neat trivia game where you play rounds online with either friends or randomly chosen opponents.

There are TONS of categories.

And the best part: no ads!  (at least not yet.... maybe I'm in some type of "trial run" type of thing ???)


Anyway, I was playing in the "Fruits and Vegetables" category tonight when this question popped up:


I recognized it immediately as a gooseberry, which I'm sure many of you reading this post haven't even heard of.


So why/how did I recognize it right away?

Because I grew up on the things!

Gooseberries are one of Dad's favorite fruits.  I remember Mom making dad gooseberry pies occasionally -- birthdays, special events, etc.

And, since these little tart berries -- actually sour, not tart -- are not readily available in stores, we'd have to pick them ourselves.  I believe I remember at least 2 older ladies in town who would let us come over and pick a supply for Dad. Mom would freeze some, so they would be available in the dead of winter, in the event Dad earned a pie.  :)

Getting a piece of gooseberry pie was a real treat.  A great memory that I'll recall every time I hear/see something about this berry.


Note above that my opponent selected Huckleberry instead of Gooseberry.

Doofus.

Out for now.....

Matt