Mom Memories

This is a tribute from Paul Osborne to his mom.

Paul is the publisher of the Decatur Tribune, former mayor of Decatur, and an all-around great man.

It's obvious that Paul loves his mom, and Paul's mom loved him.
Just as I love my mom, and my mom loves me.


Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Out for now.....

Matt




Thoughts Of Mom On Mother’s Day 2014
Paul Osborne
Publisher, Decatur Tribune

SUNDAY is Mother’s Day and there will be a lot of attention focused on our mothers -- both living and dead.
My mom passed away in 1991 and, as the years pass, I find myself thinking more and more about her influence in my life.

Betty Osborne’s example, and the faith she instilled in me at a very early age, are with me today. 
Many of the lessons I learned in childhood formed who I am as an adult.

I WAS a kid in an era when most moms were homemakers and did not have a job outside of the home.
The traditional family roles meant dad was the “breadwinner” and mom was the “homemaker”. 
Mom always believed in my brother and myself and made us feel that we could do anything we set our minds to do.
She also taught us, by example, about helping the poor and disadvantaged at a time when she and my dad didn’t have much of their own.
As a child I saw her fill the family car with people who had little or nothing and drive them to downtown Decatur to shop -- and then she shared what little money she had with them so they could buy something for themselves and enjoy the day.

MOM was never honored publicly for the unselfish work she did for others, because hardly anyone knew what she was doing -- except me. I was observing it all as a kid and her actions molded a lot of the perspective of my life. 
There isn’t any honor that I have received over the years, either as a newspaper editor, private citizen or mayor, that would have happened without mom’s positive influence on my life in my early, impressionable years.

A mom’s influence is powerful.
MOM had a manner of looking at life’s struggles in a positive way and would never outwardly show that she was disappointed in what life would sometimes throw at us. 
When some people would tear down others, she would defend them and not tolerate gossip about someone.
It wasn’t allowed in our home.
She always tried to see the other person’s point of view and the reason they acted in a way that was hard to understand.

MOM WAS never too busy to sit down and listen to me.      
Sometimes, when I was a kid, I would move the chest of drawers out from the wall in my bedroom and stand behind it on a box to practice public speaking to the one audience member who sat before me  -- mom.
Of course, she always thought the speeches were great!
She never acted like she got tired of listening or told me to go out and play and leave her alone.
I’ve given plenty of speeches in my life to a lot of groups, large and small, but the best audience I ever had, was the “audience of mom” when I was a kid.

IF SOMEONE would come into our home and compliment mom on a curtain or a throw rug that she had purchased, she would ask them “do you want it?” 
They would sometimes leave with a curtain, rug or some other item because she gave it to them.  She was happy because it made them happy.  
Mom was like that.
She often told me that God put us here to help others -- and I still believe that should be a guiding principle in what we do today.

FORGIVING people was a way of life for her.
She often said, “If no one ever did anything wrong to us, we’d never have a reason to forgive them,” as if the person who wronged us gave us an “opportunity” to do the right thing. 
Over the years, both as a newspaper editor and serving in public office, there have been a lot of hurtful things said and done to me but “getting even” has never been an option -- thanks to mom’s example.
Thanks to mom, I don’t think I could ever hold a grudge against someone -- even if I tried.   
Mom would always tell me to ask myself what Jesus did to those who hurt him and that’s what I should do when someone hurt me -- forgive them.

NO ONE gets through life without the help of many people along the way and I’m no exception. 
Mom taught, that in the darkest hours when it seems that no one cares, to always remember that God cares.
The longer I live the more I appreciate the great parents I had and the special influence of my mom. 
This Mother’s Day remember mom for all she means to you.
For those of us whose moms have passed on, we can honor them every day by remembering the positive lessons they taught us by their lives. We can show those lessons we learned in the contact we have with others. 
Happy Mother’s Day to mom.  She is no longer here in body but there’s no doubt she is here in spirit.