Drop the Gum

Boy oh boy, when I was a kid, I would snap up a piece of gum any time I could get my hands on one.

The 3 cent pieces up at Acord's Grocery.

A piece of Mom's "PAL" bubble gum (or Double Bubble).

Fruit Stripe gum from Grandma Dottie.

A stick of Juicy Fruit from Papa and Jojo.


Free Chiclets from Dittamore and Dick (the Country Companies duo) over in Paris.

And on and on.

Gum. Gum. Gum.

(I'm actually shocked that I went all the way thru high school with zero cavities!)


So today, I came across this article:

WHY NOBODY LIKES TO CHEW GUM ANYMORE

And I thought to myself.... huh?

Yup.  It's true.  Gum chewing is down.... way down.

The $4 billion gum industry has gone into freefall, with sales down 11% and volume down 20% in the past five years. No type of gum is immune--everything from sugar-free gum to bubble gum is experiencing the drop in sales.


Dang, I don't chew near as much as I use to.  But surely I didn't cause this.

Out for now.....

Matt