10 Things From the Bell-Ringers

As you know from my previous posts here on MattChat, bell-ringing for the Salvation Army has become one of my favorite holiday traditions.


I came across this stellar blog post that I wanted to share with readers of this blog.

10 THINGS SALVATION ARMY BELL-RINGERS WANT YOU TO KNOW

I encourage you to link thru and read the full thing.  But, if you don't, here is the "Cliff Notes" version:

1) We aren't judging whether you give or not
2) We aren't judging how much you give
3) We love eye contact and a friendly greeting
4) Making eye contact and speaking is not a contract to give
5) We like to hear your stories
6) We notice when you avoid us
7) You give us great ideas
8) Giving teaches your children
9) You, too, can volunteer
10) If the bell ringer happens to be a friend of yours and she tells you she has to use the bathroom, for goodness sakes, take the bell out of her hand and relieve her so she can go

What an awesome list of 10.  I can relate to every single one of them.

I don't judge.
I'm not there to make you feel guilty.
I love smiles.
I love stories.
I love to see kids putting coins in the kettle.


If I was asked to add a #11 to the list, it would be this:

11) Whether you give at the kettle or not and whether you believe in the mission/manifesto of the Salvation Army or not, please do something meaningful to make the Christmas season brighter for someone

(read the Salvation Army manifesto here:


Heartfelt thanks from this bell-ringer.

Out for now......

Matt