Picture 5/19: Celebrating AOMS Athletes

May 19
(picture 139 of 365)

I had the honor tonight of attending the sports awards ceremony for the 2014-15  Argenta-Oreana Middle School teams.

This included our 8th-grader for cheerleading and our 7th-grader for volleyball.


Both of them did a great job this year.  
I am one proud dad.

It was fun to attend their games and fun to see them contributing to the collective successes of their respective team.


I am not a fan of the manner in which some schools place way too much of an emphasis on sports.  But, A-O does a great job to strike a very nice balance between the importance of athletics and the importance of academics.

Note I said "importance of athletics".

Yes, being a part of a team sport is important.

There are so many things learned from coaches..... learned from competition..... learned from the "no I in TEAM" concept...... things that can't be taught in a classroom.

I call it "gym-learning".

And it's part of the well-rounded educational experience that students need.

Out for now......

Matt