Picture 10/5: Best Bridge

October 5
(picture 278 of 365)

I love bridges.  And have many of them that I love to drive across.

But this is my all-time favorite:


The Chain of Rocks Bridge located on the north edge of St. Louis.

Over a mile long!

It's where Route 66 once crossed the mighty Mississippi River.

To think that the bridge was on the verge of demolition back in the late 70's is unthinkable.

Today, it serves as a gateway for walkers and bikers to travel from Illinois to Missouri.


The picture above is a postcard that I located on eBay after a ton of searching at various flea markets and antique shops.

I am very excited that I finally have added one to my collection.  Looking at it reminds me of the beauty, the majesty, and the history of this amazingly engineered bridge.

Out for now.......

Matt