End of Reckoning Book

I have finished my book "Road to Reckoning".

(for those who did not see the earlier post about it, link: http://matthonnold.blogspot.com/2016/02/picture-214-my-next-book.html).



It was a Western.

I read very, very few Westerns.

This was a good one though.


Want to know a little about it?
(no, I'm not going to type-up a 500 word book report)


Here are some key quotes to give you a small flavor of the story:

- The banality of evil is in the joviality of the simpleminded.

- Piece by piece I was losing what little I had and getting closer to the little I had in front of me.

- I slept well with that giant sitting sitting above and my father's glasses against my breast.  A quilt about me in the shadow of the valley.

- What men make of themselves after violence leaves is up to them.

- I did not want to leave him or have him leave me.

- His hands did not close on me when that was all I needed for the night.  He stiffened and held me away.

- I did not know that adults would leave children, but Henry Stands was a bad one, I now knew.

- I watched him and although I knew he had done me a great deed I felt further from him.

- Do you not think that we could sell those guns?  You with your father's schooling and me with my honesty.

- I did not entertain being a child ever again.

- Yes, I'm old.  Old enough to have made cemeteries of men younger than you.  Killed in wars.  Killed in peace.  Knifed and shot my way most of my life.

- I hoped there were not men now that looked up into the hills for fires.

- My hands touched on things that were cold.  You get to know that touch as you grow older.

- Cowards never make good shots.  That is how battles are won.

- You should know by now, son, that the world began when I was born.

- I did not know what faith Henry Stands had.  He said he was a Proverbs man.

- The road behind me was closed.  A bolted door from my side.  Only my own front door ahead of me.

- As a boy I did not retain my Bible then.  I look through it now and see more and more of what was me then and much that is of me now.  Any man's whole life is there.

- It was a wonder now.  Unseen anywhere!  Unending!  There was not a man ever before who carried two pistols and sent shotguns running as he fired repeatedly, fired magically!

- I was a Proverbs man.

- I thought no more on guns and Indiana rangers until my boys were old enough for me to tell them about the wooden gun and I went to my past to fetch it.

- I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world!


It was a good read.

My quota of Westerns for 2016 is now complete.

Out for now........

Matt