Places From My Past 4

Thus far, my "Places From My Past" series here on MattChat has featured:
- college apartment/house (Charleston)
- favorite fish store ever (Paris)
- my first full-time, non-family job (Kansas)

Here's another...... #4:


You are looking at the building which formerly housed the Best Western Frontier Inn up in Clinton, Iowa.

It's no longer a hotel.

In fact, it's been vacant for some time and was up-for-auction this summer:


(not sure if it sold)


Why am I featuring this old hotel on my blog?

I stayed here at least 6 times: 4 for work and 2 for pleasure.

It was a real winner of a place.

Great service.

And an excellent full morning breakfast served on the nicest plates I've ever seen at a free hotel breakfast.


My former manager Dave introduced me to the place.  We stayed here a couple times, then I was sure to choose it when I travelled up to Clinton on my own a few times.

Even my wife and I stayed here twice.  The desk clerk gave us free tickets to see the Lumberkings once.  And another time, a torrential downpour kept us away from the ball stadium, and I remember sitting in our room looking out the window as the rain came down.  and down.  and down.

The most unique thing about the Frontier Inn was the hallways.  If one's room was at the back of the hotel, there were all sorts of hallway twists and turns to get up to the lobby.  I figure it was because the hotel was added-onto a few times.


I know it's weird to think of a hotel as a cool enough place to feature as a "place of my past".

So be it.

Out for now.......

Matt