Places From My Past 5

Here's another "Places From My Past" pic to share with y'all:


The rickety, one-lane wooden bridge on Reynolds Drive in Charleston Illinois.

Man, back in Driver's Ed days, it had a real reputation of being super-treacherous to drive over.

But I drove over it with Mr. Lord..... and Dad/Mom..... and my friends multiple, multiple times with no issues.

It was kinda cool as half the ride was done "blind" -- not being able to see what was on the other side -- as my car was heading up the bridge.

Kinda like a roller-coaster.


I had another fun experience involving this bridge -- going under it on the railroad tracks below.

Back in 1999 (?), my Uncle Kevin got permission to ride the Eastern Illinois Railroad in his 2-person rail maintenance/ workman car.  I had the wonderful opportunity to fill that second seat.

And I still remember entering Charleston by rail and approaching the Reynolds Drive Bridge from the west.

A very cool experience to go under it after so many times going over it.


I believe the bridge is closed today -- shut down for a couple years now.

More on that here -- a MattChat post from 2014:

Out for now........

Matt