Bellringer Observations

I served 2 hours of Red Kettle ringing this morning at the County Market on Decatur's Pershing Road.


Some thoughts and observations of/from my time today:

- there was an amazing amount of generosity from those passing by the kettle;  so cool to see!

- must have been a huge sale on 24-packs of pop because there were a bunch going out the door

- big boxes of deli chicken too..... I'm guessing lots of Christmas lunches / potlucks were being held today

- I suspect the same destination for the lady who had 2 cart loads of sandwich trays from the deli

- saw at least 3 veterans wearing ballcaps identifying them as such (including 1 WWII vet riding a motorized scooter);  I always try my best to be sure and tell them "thanks for your service", and I'd encourage you to do the same

- yeesh, there are some drivers who drive thru the parking lot way WAY too fast;  slow down, you speeders!

- got to have a brief conversation with quite possibly the most friendly UPS driver this side of the Mississippi

- County Market really needs to get those sticking exit doors looked at

- to the lady who snarkily told me "you guys are on every corner":  here's a smile for you --  :)

- to the guy walking thru the parking lot looking thru containers for cans:  I have no idea who you are or what your present situation may be, but I pray that your Christmas will be one of peace and security

- was great to meet Gary, who was the kettle runner for the Salvation Army today;  what a great guy with such a great attitude


Never a dull moment out there on the corner, folks!


Grace & Peace & Love to you all -

Matt