Mexico City Urination

“When we open up escalators for maintenance, there is always urine."

WHAAAAAT?


I saw this news (?) item come across on my Twitter feed and about choked on my lunch.

However, after looking it up on the internet and finding it published by several reputable news agencies, I take this to be real news.

Absolutely stupid real news.

Travelers on the Mexico City subway system often blame authorities for broken-down escalators at subway stops, but Metro officials have another explanation: vast amounts of pee.

Somehow, urine is penetrating and corroding the drive wheels and mechanisms of the escalators that carry riders up from underground stations.

Of the system’s 467 escalators, 22 are out of service on any given day.

The biggest problem, subway authorities admit, is that the many escalators are old, or have been damaged by rough use.



I am no metallurgist, but I have to think that it takes a WHOLLLLLLLE BUNNNNNNCH of human urine to corrode the gears, pulleys, shafts, wheels, etc. etc. within an escalator system.

This simply does not fit into the definition of "decent human behavior" anywhere that I can see.

Uggggh, so gross.


Grace & Peace & Love to you all -

Matt