Safety Coffins

The tomb is equipped with a number of features including an air inlet (F), a ladder (H) and a bell (I) so that the person, upon waking, could save himself. “If too weak to ascend by the ladder, he can ring the bell, giving the desired alarm for help, and thus save himself from premature death by being buried alive."

Now that sure is a creepy way to start a blog post.

It only gets creepier from there.


People Feared Being Buried Alive So Much They Invented These Special Safety Coffins
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/sponsored/people-feared-being-buried-alive-so-much-they-invented-these-special-safety-coffins-180970627/

I came across this article totally by random shot.  But it is freakin' fascinating.  The lengths that people went through to patent their ideas for alarming others if/when they got buried alive.

My oh my.


Grace & Peace & Love to you all -

Matt


p.s. I learned a new word:  "taphophobia"..... the fear of being buried alive