No Spitting in Baseball



Baseball is back in South Korea.

No fans.

And apparently, no spitting:

He (pitcher Dan Straily) applauds all the rules, except one. A ban on spitting.

"I want someone to find me a game in history where baseball players did not spit on the field," Straily says.

But this pandemic is changing everything, including one of baseball's oldest and, pretty safe to say, most disgusting traditions. Although Straily thinks the spittle prohibition will be hard to enforce.

"I've never been to the baseball field and thought to myself, like, 'OK don't spit,' " he says. "It doesn't make sense. I don't know why we all do it, it's just like one of those things that happens."



So the article goes on to explain that players will not be wearing masks.  (I thought maybe that was the reason for the no spitting rule.)

I guess when a person spits, it is possible for tiny droplets to go airborne and be inhaled by someone else.

And, that spit on the astroturf could be viewed as a hazard for the ground crew, I guess.


Between spitting and crotch grabs -- both of which are habits for many, many players -- I'm not sure which one would be easier to go "cold turkey" on.

Looks like there's no choice - at least in South Korea.


Grace & Peace & Love to you all -

Matt