Laughter in the Walls



Heard this one during an online church service this morning.

Very meaningful, especially as the years continue to pass and our girls grow further and further into independent women.


Grace & Peace & Love to you all -

Matt


⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

LAUGHTER IN THE WALLS

by Bob Benson


I pass a lot of houses

on my way home.

Some pretty,

some expensive,

some inviting.


But my heart always skips a beat

when I turn down the road

and see my house

nestled against the hill.


I guess I’m especially proud

of the house

and the way it looks

because I drew the plans myself.

It started out large enough for us–

I even had a study;

two teenage boys

now reside in there.

And it had a guest room;

my girl and nine dolls

are permanent guests.

It had a small room

Peg had hoped

would be her sewing room,

the two boys swinging

on the Dutch door

have claimed this room as their own.

So it really doesn’t look right now

as if I’m much of an architect.

But it will get larger again.


One by one they will go away–

to work, to college,

to service,

to their own houses.

And then there will be room–

a guest room, a study,

and a sewing room–

just for the two of us.


But it won’t be empty.

Every corner, every room,

every nick in the coffee table

will be crowded

with memories.

Memories of picnics,

parties, Christmases,

bedside vigils, summers,

fires, winters, going barefoot,

leaving for vacation, cats,

conversations, black eyes,

graduations, first dates,

ball games, arguments,

washing dishes, bicycles,

dogs, boat rides,

getting home from vacation,

meals, rabbits,

and a thousand other things

that fill the lives

of those who would raise five.


And Peg and I

will sit quietly by the fire

and listen to the

laughter in the walls.