Dad Went Sailing

As the calendar flipped from October to November, and as the days click off as we head for the very special Thanksgiving holiday, our family is approaching the 3rd anniversary of my dad's passing.

He is obviously missed.  Yet, his teachings, his example, his legacy, his spirit -- all of these things are alive-and-well with us today.  And every day.



There are things that happen every week that cause me to remember Dad.  And smile.

So does the poem below.

Yes, Dad has sailed away from us.  But, I live in peace -- and I live in hope -- knowing that he sailed to a beautiful destination.

And waits there for us to join him.

Love you, Dad.


Grace & Peace & Love to you all -

Matt



SAIL AWAY
John T. Baker

Along the shore I spy a ship

As she set out to sea;

She spreads her sails and sniffs the breeze

And slips away from me.


I watch her fading image shrink,

As she moves on and on,

Until at last she’s but a speck,

Then someone says, “She’s gone.”


Gone where? Gone only from our sight

And from our farewell cries;

That ship will somewhere reappear to other eager eyes.


Beyond the dim horizon’s rim, resound the welcome drums,

And while we’re crying, There she goes!

They’re shouting, Here she comes!


We’re built to cruise for but a while

Upon the trackless sea

Until one day we sail away into infinity.